Things you should be doing at your children's ministry
- Record Checks on ALL members of the church that might be around the children's ministry is a must!
- People that work in the children's ministry need to be vetted and references asked for and contacted. Even grandmothers of children that go to the church needs to have record checks, vetted and references required.
- If at all possible the children's ministry should be separated from other ministries in the church. In other words your children's ministry should not be located in the middle of your adult ministry. It needs to be separate and have it's own bathrooms.
- All doors in the children's ministry must be able to be locked in case of emergency situations. Your children ministry's leaders should have keys that will work on all locked doors.
- No volunteer should be allowed to be in a room by themselves with children in the ministry.
- Male volunteers should not change diapers (I know that makes all males in the children's ministry happy).
- Training for all the volunteers on what to look for in cases of children predators. Systems like MinistrySafe child safety system,” that teaches member churches how to deal with reports of abuse.
- You should have some check in/check out system in place and a list of anyone that can pick up a child needs provided to the children's ministry.
- No person that does not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ should be a children's ministry volunteer. Parents that have teenagers should not allow their teenagers to help in the children's ministry.
- Report all incidents of suspicious activity to the children ministry leaders. If it is a children ministry leader you suspected of doing something improper report this activity to a minister or an elder or deacon.
- Follow up on all possible incidents of improper contact with a child. Bring in the parents, the child and discuss with them what transpired that caused them to make this report. Discuss the issue with the accused and if there is a shred of evidence that a crime has been committed, you MUST contact local law enforcement immediately!
Warning signs of cameras on property may prevent incidents like these happening on church property.
Do you have an alarm system? These churches wished they had one.
Make your church's campus a law enforcement friendly place. It keeps things like this from happening on your property.
Never, ever leave your offering where someone can get to it or things like this will happen.